CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 25, 2008

Prologue: Please, Let Me Introduce Myself...

Lelani Jicole Freeman
It’s been awhile since I’ve been out. Classes have my ass on lockdown. My college career started off wrong and I wanted to make a change from all the shit I was doing during in undergrad. Things just weren’t the same since I moved away for grad school. Instead of going to school back home with all my closest friends, I decided I needed a serious change of scenery. I really miss some of my friends but others I don’t ever want to see again, especially those I got into a lot of trouble with. Now that my life is on a good track, going out for one night isn’t going to make a big difference. I‘m much more level headed now than I have ever been. I think I can handle one night of spontaneity.

I lined my lips, applied some tinted lip gloss, and slid my feet into my new pink heels, then checked myself one last time in the mirror before I headed downstairs to my car and over to Mykell’s. I’m just glad she wanted to go out and take a break, too. Otherwise I might have been going by myself. She ain’t all crazy and shit so getting into trouble is improbable.

I pulled up in front of her apartment and honked twice. There was no way I was going to knock on the door, because I wanted to avoid confrontation with her roommate, Jadan. How she could live with that wild ass cousin of hers was beyond me, but I’m sure she made the living arrangement work. Besides, even I wouldn’t mind living in an apartment as nice as theirs.

I beeped the horn again and waited. Mykell said she would be ready so I didn’t think that I would have to wait long. A few moments later, Mykell walked out the door wearing a short jean skirt, a royal blue top and blue open-toed lace-up heels. Damn! She looks better than I do. I wasn’t far from a ten, but Mykell had that perfect body every man lusted after. In a good way, I envied her.

“Damn girl what is all that about?” I said signaling toward her outfit.

“You know, I just thought I would do it up tonight. Try and get someone to holla a bitch, you know!”

“Ok, but I told you I ain’t getting into no shit tonight. I can’t afford it and neither can you.”

“Lelani, let’s just have fun. Whatever happens, happens.”

“Yeah, okay,” rolling my eyes then turning around to back out. ”I’m for real about not getting into no shit!”

Mykell Franchesca Armstrong
When Lelani told me she wanted to go out tonight, it kinda surprised me. I didn’t expect that from her from all that shit she was talking about how she got into a lot of stuff before. But I told her I would go. If only she knew the real reason for me going out tonight, she might have changed her mind.

I got into the passenger side of her car and she looked at me as if she had never seen me before. Then came the 20 questions. “What you wearing?” “Where you think you going?” Who you dressed up for?” You know... shit like that can get a bitch slapped. I know she really ain’t the going out type, but neither am I. I just want a little attention when we get to wherever we were going. I ain’t getting any anywhere else. Why the hell not?

When we got to Masquerade, Lelani started checking herself over and over again. I almost lost it but I had to keep my cool if I wanted a guaranteed ride home. We got out and walked up to the line. It was long as hell!!! Still, I couldn’t complain. This was my time to check out all the niggas before they got all sweaty and drunk. Hell, more time for me to see if any of them look good in real light.

There was this chocolate brotha with a low fade checking out Lelani. Damn, he was fine! And he looke like he had a friend for me who wasn’t bad looking. But from the look on Lelani’s face, she wasn’t here to find herself nothing,not even fun, which cancelled any “after party” plans for me.

“Hey, girl, look at cutie looking your way,” I said motioning over to her spectator.

“Whatever. I told you I ain’t got time for that shit.”

“You can’t get into any trouble just looking. Just look.”

“Damn, you ain’t gonna leave it alone are you?”

“Not ‘til you look. Right there in the green plaid. Oh and look at his friend. Got damn!”

“Shit, you right they don’t look bad. Not bad at all,” Lelani said with a slight grin.

“Ok, then that means we’ll have some…”

“I said I would just look. I did and now it’s over. Girl, let’s go, the line is moving.”

Neo Ryan James
I really didn’t want to be here but Dayshawn said he needed a new chick. I don’t know why he thinks he needs such a repertoire of females. They don’t do shit for that nigga. I guess one day he’ll realize that one good woman will fulfill all the emptiness in his life.

As soon as we got in line, Dayshawn went to scanning the line for potentials. There was about this one that stood out. She coordinated from head to toe: a pink and purple dress and some pink shoes. Her body was nice; tall and slender with a nice little onion booty. Her legs looked smooth and her toes were done. Damn, she was right.

But before I could say anything, Dayshawn noticed her. The look in his eyes was more dog than gentlemen, and his stare proved to be churning the freak fantasies over in his head. She didn’t look like that type to give D the time of day, especially after her friend pointed D out and she almost didn’t turn around.

“Hey, nigga, what you looking at?” I asked D, anticipating his answer.

“Honey over there in the pink dress. She's fly, huh?”

“Yeah, man, but she don’t look like the type to get down. But look at her friend.”

“Yeah, you can have her friend. I want redbone. Got damn,” D responded while rubbing his hand together like he had just struck it rich.

“Yeah right. You ain’t gonna see no part of that ass, nigga. I bet you don’t get none of that.”

“Aight, bet.”

Dayshawn Christopher Brown
When I seen shawty standing in line ahead of us, I knew I had to get that. Neo didn’t know what he was talking about. He knew when we came out here that I was looking for some more hoes to put on my payroll. These bitches don’t have any idea how fly I am. One day the ones that fucked up will wish they hadn’t.

When we finally got inside, I went straight to the bar and ordered three shots of Hennessy. The dance floor was packed. Chicks grinding the hell out of niggas and shaking they ass and shit. I really wanted to get out there but I don’t want to seem too anxious. We walked around just to see who else was in the club. I spotted a few of my hoes but didn’t speak to any of them.

About 20 minutes later, I spotted the chick from outside. She was sitting at a table near the dance floor. I tapped Neo, who was dancing with a petite young thang. She was sweet but I wanted to holla at cutie from outside. Neo whispered something in the girl’s ear and she walked away. Then we headed over to the table.

“Excuse me, I just noticed you from over there and I just…”

She quickly cut me off and said, “I’m not interested.”

“Damn, you ain’t even gonna let me finish?”

“For what? I said I’m not interested.”

“I just wanted to dance with you, since you are the finest thing in the club tonight.”

Nudging Lelani, Mykell suggested, “Why don’t you just dance with him, girl, he’s cute…”

“I don’t want to dance. Damn!” Lelani snapped back.

“Okay, then would you like to dance, shawty?” D asked Mykell.

“Sure, I’m up for it! I came to have fun.”

“Hey, Neo, keep the uppity bitch company,” D said throwing his head back at Lelani.

After D‘s slick comment, Lelani lost it! “Excuse me! Nigga, you don’t know me like that. Fuck you, you black mutha fucka.”

“Don’t pay him no mind. He’s just mad you don’t want to talk to him. He’s been looking at you since you were in line outside,” Neo said trying to soothe the situation.

“Yeah, whatever. I don’t need you to keep me company. You can leave if you want.”

“I really didn’t want to be here either. It’s all the same, every weekend.”

“Oh, well I want to be here. It’s just that I’m trying to stay out of trouble. You know how that goes. Niggas always trying to start shit.”

“Yeah. So what’s your name?” Neo asked genuinely.

“Why you trying so hard?”

“No, I just want to know who I’m talking to. Don’t you think it’s rude not to introduce yourself to strangers?”

“Never thought of it like that. I just thought since I turned your boy down, you thought it would be the opportunity to get in with me.”

“Naw, I told you I really didn’t want to come out here anyway.”

“I’m sorry. It’s Lelani.”

“Lelani, that’s sexy. I’m Neo.”

“Neal?”

“No, Neo. Like Neo from the Matrix. It means “new.”

“Oh. That’s different. Where is that from?”

“I was born in Miami, but my parents are from Cuba and the Virgin Islands. What about you?”

“I was born in Orlando but my dad was in the Navy so we moved around a lot.”

“Are you mixed? You look it.”

“Naw, just plain nigga. My great grandmother is mixed though. I guess that’s where I get my skin tone.”

“So who’s your friend?”

“That’s Mykell. She’s from Tampa. She looks like she’s enjoying your boy.”

“Yeah, I guess. Just tell her to be careful with him. He’s a self-proclaimed player.”

“Well, birds of a feather flock together!”

“Naw, I’m nothing like D. We’ve been friends for forever. You know, like brothers. But I grew out of the player shit a long time ago.”

“A long time ago. You talking like you’re old or something.”

“I’m 26. I’ve had my share but now I’m looking for my future wife.”

“Oh, really. Good luck with that.”

After Neo told Lelani how old he was, she seemed hesitant about pursuing the conversation. For a moment he had her attention but the four year age difference made the situation a little uncomfortable for Lelani. She thought, “Is he too old or am I just too young? However it works out, I don’t think we would fit together. But then again he is fine as hell.”

Lelani
After a few more songs Mykell and Dayshawn came back to the table. He sat down next to her and started a conversation. I glanced down at my watch and tried to read the time. It was so dark all I could make out was the second hand. I noticed Neo glancing at his Blackberry.
I leaned over and asked him the time. It was quarter ‘til two. I looked back over at Mykell and nudged her arm. She glanced over her shoulder and held up one finger as to say “hold up a minute.” After a moment she finally leaned my way.

“Hey, girl, I’m ready to go. You ready?”

“Naw, D, wants to take me to eat. You down?”

“No! I told you I wasn’t coming out here to find no trouble. I just wanted to get out and chill.”

“Whatever! So what was you and dude talking about over here? From the smile on your face, it wasn’t just nothing.”

“It was nothing. He just asked me my name and shit. Besides he’s too old.”

“Whatever. Sounds like an excuse to me.”

“So what’s up, you coming?” D blurted out, interrupting our conversation.

“Naw, but let me give you my number so you can call me and take me out to lunch or something another time,” Mykell answered while searching in her bag for a pen.

“Alright, cool.”

Tayla Calle Gibbons
Tonight was the night that Dallas had promised me a special evening. He was always doing things like this. He just told me to be dressed. I wonder what that means. I don’t really care I just want this relationship to turn into something real.

We’ve been dating for a year and I have committed myself to him and only him. I know that he loves me, but lately he’s been distant. Dallas just started his new company, Best Potential Incorporated. New businesses are always hard to adjust to. And being that our relationship is changing into a deeper commitment, I can expect some rough roads.

I finished getting dressed and headed out to wait for him in the community lounge of my dorm. Being a Resident Advisor was saving me a lot of money. I noticed that there were a few people sitting around watching TV and a few more sitting at the tables trying to study. These sorry undergrads have no life.

I was in the lounge for about ten minutes when I saw Lelani Freeman, the fourth floor’s R.A., walk downstairs and out the door. Where could that bookworm be heading dressed in that cute pink dress. She never dressed up and hardly ever went out. Who knows and who cares. Our previous encounter a few weeks after the semester started wasn't a great start, and I never did like her funky attitude she carried around. She just better watch her step.

A few minutes behind Lelani leaving, Dallas walked through the door. He looked finer than ever and oh so suave. A girl sitting at a nearby table took a quick glance over the top of her book.

Yeah, that’s right, bitch, take a good look because you’ll never have that...he’s mine.

I stood and walked over to Dallas. He reached his arms out for a quick hug. I felt his hands brush down my back and him give my neck a light peck. Damn, he knew how to greet me. We left the dorm and Dallas drove out to a secluded overlook of the ocean.

“Tayla, I brought you out here to ask you something real important.”

“Ok, I’m listening.”

“You know things between us lately haven’t been what they should be. I want to apologize for that. I’ve been so wrapped up in my business, I haven’t been able to focus on anything else but that.”

“Baby, I understand. But why did you have me dress up and why are we out here?”

“This place represents how I feel about you. Look out there and tell me what you see.”

“The ocean? I don't understand how…”

“The ocean, it begins and ends anywhere you can imagine. And that’s what I want to give to you. Anything you can imagine. What I’m trying to say is... will you marry me?”

“What?! I didn’t expect this to happen so soon,. We just got together. Are you sure this is what you want?”

“Most definitely. You are what I want and need to complete my life. Please say you will.”

“Yes. Yes, Dallas, I’ll marry you!”


Dallas Samuel Dickson

Tayla is the best thing to ever happen to me. Ever since I’ve been with her, things have been looking up. Before I met her my life was in shambles. The path that I was on was leading me straight to jail but that night I met her everything just seem to turn around. That’s why tonight I had to ask her to stay with me…for the rest of my life.

When I saw her sitting there waiting for me in her beautiful dress, for the first time in my life I was nervous in the presence of a female. Never had I been so scared about taking a woman out. But Tayla is something special and when I parked I knew that she would say yes.

After she said yes, I promised her that as soon as my new business got off the ground I would buy her any ring she wanted. Being the good woman I knew she was, she obliged and thanked me. I leaned over toward her and held her face. She placed her hand over mind as I embraced her lips with mine.

4 comments:

A.Smith said...

You definitely have talent; but I feel like you didn't need me to say that. You should continue the story. It was getting good!

One Man’s Opinion said...

Wow! I can't believe I read the whole thing. Seriously, I can't! This is the kind of novel that I would read, because you were able to keep my attention at the very first and had me wanting more.

Good books are hard to find, sometimes. Especially if you are a picky reader, like myself. That being said, there are also so many books out there, I don't have the time to read all of them and make a decision. I am currently reading a book called "Lucky". It is a slow read, but I am vested in what is going to happen to the main character.

I don't know what makes you think I would not want your insight in my sex book. Hell, i am wondering if you could give me some advise in the complete novel I wrote last year. Yeap, wrote a novel, but doing nothing with it. How said is that?

Undeniably...Deep aka Tina-B said...

Thanks for reading. More to come. I'm still deciding on how I'm going to post cuz I dont want the chapters to be too long that it takes alot of time. But please tell a friend.

Anonymous said...

NET said...

Boo, I LOVE IT! I was not expecting to read the whole thing but I could not stop reading. I'm glad you are finally writing this book. You've been talking about it for years. I AM SOOOO PROUD OF YOU. Keep 'em coming. I am looking forward to the rest. The story is already very captivating.

PS-I betta get the 1st copy.

Love ya sis,
Net